To foster a spirit of community as well as keep the tuition low, the German School of the East Bay asks that each family or adult student volunteer at least 3 hours per semester. At the beginning of the semester, a $100 volunteer/library book deposit is required (payment can be made via PayPal), and once the volunteer commitment has been met, and no library books are outstanding, the deposit is returned at the end of the semester. Deposits are not carried over from semester to semester.
In addition to the volunteer hours, each family/student is asked to bring a healthy snack at least once during the semester.
Volunteer hours and snack commitments–both of which are to be fulfilled– are managed via SignUpGenius (click the links below). SignUpGenius sends out reminders and invitations for future volunteer opportunities.
SignUpGenius Links – Spring 2020
Yard Duty (Morning classes only; 1.5 volunteer credit hours)
Healthy Snacks (morning classes only)
– Parents of Pre-K and Kindergarten students are asked to bring a healthy snack for the classroom at least once per semester.
– Students in all other classes are asked to bring a healthy snack for approximately 25-30 people at least once per semester. These Kaffeekasse snacks are offered to students during their breaks at a small cost (from $0.25) and serve as a fundraiser for the school.
Healthy Kaffeekasse Snack Suggestions include:
- Fruit: apples, strawberries, mandarin oranges, watermelon
- Bagels, regular or mini, cream cheese
- Mini croissants
- Dinner rolls, sliced cheese, salami
- Goldfish crackers
- Banana breads
- Mini bagel pizzas
Any food items containing peanuts and/or tree nuts must be clearly labeled specifying the ingredients.
After bringing a snack, please sign the Volunteer Kaffeekasse book in the GSEB Kitchen.
If you have any questions, please contact the GSEB volunteer coordinator at email@example.com.